Sunday, July 15, 2007

Music and Magic

Like a compendium of notes, music has a different effect on me. I mean, everybody loves singing but my relationship with it is almost magical. Parang lotion. May soothing effect. Give me any song's melody and I'm sure to name it. I seem to have a special affinity with it, that recently I bought myself a magic sing.

As a kid, I remember one of my aunts wondering how it was so easy for me to register lyrics in my head. We don't even own a decent sound system then. My father only had a car stereo that his friend gave or sold?! Must be in my blood. I had a cousin who can belt Air Supply songs. In fact he can outdo Russel Hitchcock! He's not a special case. There are a lot of us in the family who can belt M. Carey, W. Houston's. (Tsk. Mayabang na ba.)

Nevertheless, it's the only constant companion in my life: school days were not complete without it, my teenage life would've been boring, ... in other words, music's just like a twin sister to me. Ever present. A witness to all my struggles and fight.
My number one friend!

Here are my all-time favorites:

1. Kiss-a-Me (Agaw Agimat). Very reminiscent of my college days. Back to a time when I was still this skinny girl who doesn't care if her get-up is so kadirically cute. (I laugh out loud just having to imagine myself in those days. Good thing I had my friends who accepted me just the same).

2. Sundo (Imago). Poetic. I love the way its vocalist rendered the entire song.

3. Huwag Mo Nang Itanong (Eraserheads). Need I explain more? I was a big big fan of Buendia and his band. This song always reminds me of weekends in Pili. After a week in Naga, I had to go back home and enjoy life as youths would do. I watch basketball (and stare nonstop at my crushes like a mad woman). I hangout with cousins (but I dont drink the way they did). I did volunteer work with an NGO in our village.

4. Kailanman (Introvoys). Basta maganda syang pakinggan. High school pa ata ako nito. Yung mga iba pang trip ko nun sila Geneva Cruz, Donna Cruz...aruuu. Hehe. Mais! Mais!

5. Stop (Spice Girls). I like the beat. In college -- there were news about the supposed "gender" of the British-all female pop group. I guess its another big factor. You listen to it then ask your self hey, are these people really gays? "Stop" reminds me of newsletter writing and editing at PIB (Walingwaling Street) and those eating sessions with Plan Staff at Biggs, or Jollibee.

6. Cool Ka Lang (Prettier than Pink). Kaya't cool ka lang, cool ka lang, simple lang ang buhay ngumiti ka na lang. cool ka lang, relaks ka lang...

7. Running Away (Tunay na Amo). Highschool life: ito naalala ko sa kanta -- tuwing miyerkules, kasama ako sa cleaners/sweepers. Wala lang, may isang pakyut dun. Sunod nang sunod. Papansin. (Pero wala na sya. God bless his soul.)

8. Strangers Again (Cinema). Reminds me of our summer youth camps in 4H Club at DA-Bikol. Pati mga rabuz na yan. Awww. very barriotic ko talaga 'ne. Di bale. am proud just the same.

9. Can We Still Be Friends. Actually, I like Moore's version in the same way I appreciated Todd Rundgren's (orig singer).

10. Kanlungan (Buklod). Talk about theater days and shibashi sessions! Well everytime we have stage presentations, we exercise (shibashi) using Kanlungan as a background. Reminds me also of the theater training we had at Penafrancia Resort in 1996. In one week I was able to memorize all the songs of Buklod kase yun lang pinatugtog nila!

No comments: